Skip to main content

Dylan-Now for our Older Viewers




Over the last year or so I have been collecting autograph stories from friends, family and work colleagues (Phil has submitted a story as has Camraman).It has been a very pleasureable experience listening to/reading the 50 tales I have received.
Of course, I am having no luck with publishers or agents and I receive rejection letters on a regular basis. But, the project was fun to do, so I cling on to that thought as I tear open the envelopes.

Here is a story about Bob Dylan, it is one of my favourites, I hope you like it.

Dylan

I owned everything by Dylan and last saw him in 1967 at Manchester Free Trade Hall. Now I had the chance to see him again and if I was lucky, meet him.

I was a policeman in my early twenties, I think it was 1976, when Dylan played three or four nights at Earls Court. Dylan was on form around this time having released Desire and Street Legal. I was based at Notting Hill Police Station but for big concerts or demos worked with other policemen from all over London in what were called “Serials”, these were units of about 20 to 30 policemen.

I had worked at Earls Court a few times and seen Elton John, The Rolling and Queen all play there. But Dylan was different, I wanted to try and get to him.

I managed to catch bits of Dylan’s concert in the first two days but I was mostly involved in traffic duty and crowd patrol. The crowds were so bad in Warwick Road just opposite the venue, that I didn’t get an opportunity to see too much of the concert. But on the fourth night I managed to swap duties with another colleague who knew how much I loved Dylan.

I knew the venue quite well and had access to most areas so after the concert I went to see if I could catch a glimpse of Dylan backstage. When I got there I found lots of fans gathered around the stage door. Not having a valid reason to push through them all and worried that I might be caught by my Guvnor I decided to wait and see if the great man emerged.

After a short while a roadie came out to where we were gathered and people handed him various items for Dylan to sign. As fans handed him scraps of paper and programmes I realised the only thing I had on me was my police pocket book. I handed it over (I think I folded it over to a blank page in the middle). The man walked off towards a room where we could see Dylan sitting at a long table. He gave Dylan the bundle of bits and pieces to sign and Dylan signed the lot. (People say Dylan is aloof and doesn’t like to engage with his fans, but I never really believed that so it was nice to see him doing his bit for his fans).

I got my pocketbook back, looked at the signature and felt thrilled. I quickly put it in my pocket and rushed back to where I should have been stationed.

About 6 months later I was in Knightsbridge Crown Court (which is no longer there) giving evidence in a case that involved a drink driver I had arrested. The man had been too drunk to breathalyse and under section 15 (or 16) I was able to arrest him without breathalysing him. He also had an offensive weapon in his car, I think it was a sword. (NB Back then drink driving cases these went to Crown Court).

I was questioned by the Prosecution and the case was clear cut. Grasping at straws the solicitor for the defendant looked at my statement and then asked to see my pocket book (which was quite an unusual request in such cases). He pointed out that there was a page missing and he wanted to know why. I was shocked, I nearly said I didn’t know why it was missing and then I remembered. The Dylan autograph!

The judge (or the Recorder) sniggered when I explained why the page was missing. The judge decided that I couldn’t have made it all up and accepted my explanation, he said the matter was now left up to me and my superior officer to discuss.

The verdict: Guilty.

(Extract from the unlikely to be published - You can't sign a coconut by The Quiet Busker)

Comments

Bill said…
Funny story. You are very fortunate to have met Dylan. Can't imagine actually having a conversation with him.
DomzaNet said…
That'd be easy, Bill (could that be "Old" Bill?): Just talk about money.
Philip Hall said…
I don't quite understand the story. What happened to the page. How did it link up. Sorry. I am a bit dim.

By the way, I have a love-hate attitude to Dylan and wrote about it here. If you are a Dylan fan, look away now:

http://xuitlacoche.blogspot.com/2007/05/betraying-dylan.html

http://xuitlacoche.blogspot.com/2009/09/authors-are-mediums.html
The story was told to me by an ex-policeman who did not wish to be named. I am not really a Dylan fan by the way but he has his moments.

Phil - he had ripped the page out as it had the signature on it.
Philip Hall said…
Ohhh.

I wonder if the man recognised Dylan's "poderoso". That's the nickname for signature in Mexico.
DomzaNet said…
I think you are too kind to Dylan, Phil, and you attribute too much power to him.

"channelled the powerful waters of social movements into the stagnant middle class back waters of half baked philosophical introversion using their ability to divert with language."

I'm sorry, those waters were not powerful and they were heading down the pisshole, anyway.

Dylan did us all a favour, much like Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich, or Andy Fairweather-Low, and many other arseholes one could easily mention. He exposed the whole scene. Lucky me, I noticed in time that the best minds of my generation were rotting, joined the Party, and escaped.
Philip Hall said…
Good for you Dom.

But they were powerful waters. What's your opinion of CL James and his views on Stokely Carmichael and what he saw as the potential for black militants to become politicised and get beyond black racism.

What do you know about the Poco uprising Dom. I have some stuff of Dad's I am going to post on Xuitlacoche, or here if people want. Perhaps you could give us a good analysis of what happened. I have read various accounts where people criticise the Poco uprising for having triggered 90 day detention without trial.

I know dad was banned for his reporting on that.

As for collecting signatures and tokens of famous people, I think Paul's idea is a good one because it reveals a lot about what the person seeking the signature values.

The contrast, that a policeman was seeking the autograph of a counter culture figure.

When you see the policement lined up against the miners in the miner's strike you can't help but feel that they probably have a very similar class background. Or when you read the story of the October revolution and you see how the soldiers turned on their officers and joined in the revolution.
Phil - I hadn't thought of your observation - the policeman wanting the signature of a counter culture figure. I wonder if the policeman ever thought of it in those terms......I shall ask him.
Philip Hall said…
Ask him if he was at the miners strike or at Wapping or at the riots in 1981 in Brixton or the Poll tax riots.

I always wonder what policemen (and former policemen) think about when they are asked to slap down people similar to themselves. Is there a feeling of that you want to hand in your truncheon and retrain as a teacher or a fireman. Or is it all adrenalin and camaraderie.

I wonder.
Philip Hall said…
By the way Paul.

If you type "Stamp out Terrorism" your blog ranks near the top of Google.

Guys and gals, consider your titles and what you write carefully because you WILL be Googled and Ars Notoria is gaining momentum.

Even when the commenting is quiet.
DomzaNet said…
Hi Phil, QB and all,

Phil, I don't think you can bounce, play or spook a population into doing the right revolutionary thing. I think it's always a matter of hard, organising grind.

I don't know much about Poqo - the PAC-inspired events that followed Sharpeville, especially in the Cape. I was also quite young in those days, and I was not in SA. But you can see that the PAC didn't have the organisation. Poqo was a 9-days' wonder.

I think the PAC has packed up altogether, now.

Does Costa know about this blog, Phil? He would be the one to ask about the PAC.
Philip Hall said…
I think Costa does but I haven't posted the Poqo article and I promised I would, so I will.
DomzaNet said…
Hey, I'm fed up with looking at this guy's carefully back-lit coiffure and brand-new posing-kit. Can't anybody come up with something different?

Popular posts from this blog

A warm welcome

. Why blog on ARS NOTORIA? I have set up this website,  ARS NOTORIA ,  (the notable art) as an opportunity for like-minded people like you to jot down your thoughts and share them with us on what I hope will be a high profile blog. . ARS NOTORIA is conceived as an outlet: a way for you to get things off your chest, shake those bees out of your bonnet and scratch that itch. The idea is that you do so in a companionable blogging environment, one that that is less structured - freer. Every article you care to write or photograph or picture you care to post will appear on its own page and you are pretty much guaranteed that people will read with interest what you produce and take time to look at what you post. Personal blogs are OK, but what we long for, if we can admit it, are easy-going, loose knit communities: blogging hubs where we can share ideas and pop in and out as frequently, or as seldom, as we like. You will be able to moderate and delete any of the comments made on 

Phil Hall: The Taleban are a drug cartel disguised as an Islamist movement

Truly the Taleban could have arranged as many bombings and terrorists acts as they liked in the UK. There are many Pashtun young men and women in cities in the UK who still have large extended families back in Afghanistan and who could be forced into doing something they should not. But guess what. So far there have been no attacks by Afghans on British soil. Why? It is a mystery. News comes from Afghanistan and the recent UN report that the Taleban and the drug trade are intertwined and that now the Taleban, who are mainly Pashtun, are officially in command of an international drug cartel.  News comes from Afghanistan that Taleban drug lords go to Dubai to live high on the hog and gamble and sleep with women and luxuriate in all the that the freedom to consume has to offer, while their footsoldiers, peasant fighters, are deluded and told that they are fighting a patriotic religious war.  And though they are told they are fighting a religious war what really matters to them in tr

Our Collective Caliban

At the risk of seeming digitally provincial, I’m going to illustrate my point with an example from a recent Guardian blog. Michel Ruse, who is apparently a philosopher, suggested that, whilst disagreeing with creationists on all points, and agreeing with Dawkins et al on both their science and philosophy, it might be wiser and more humane (humanist, even) not to vilify the religious as cretinous and incapable of reason. Which seems reasonable, to me. According to many below-the-line responses he is a ‘half-baked’ atheist, ‘one of the more strident and shrill New Apologists’ and, apparently, “needs to get a pair’. And that’s just from the first twenty comments. A recent article by a screenwriter at a US site was titled ‘Why I Won’t Read Your Fucking Screenplay.’ Tough guy. I wonder how his Christmas cards read. I’m going to sound like a maiden aunt dismayed by an unsporting bridge play and can perhaps be accused of needing to ‘get a pair’ myself (although, before you