Skip to main content

Dilettante activists to the barricades!

Tell me this. What really constitutes effective political activism in the second decade of the 21st century? And how many of you, like me, have been made to feel like political dilettantes, have been discounted and sidelined in one way or another over the years because you haven't used your views and political activity to leverage yourself into an influential position in some organisation or other?

This is the "subject" speaking now. (This is Camraman's hateful "I") Personally, if you examined my life you would see that I obviously did not aim at financial reward, but at some form of rewarding and socially useful work. I don't expect approval for this. What do I care for approval or disapproval.

Whatever the curious mix of my personal politics, I have, in a way, held fast to my bedrock values. Many of us still do. We work for little in socially useful occupations and we do our best for society, but then then, somehow, we are told by some smart arse or other, that we are not doing enough. That we are onlookers and not actors. That we should be out there acting in the world - as if what we are doing were not acting.

In my case, my political viewpoint is that of, literally, a fellow traveller. My identity was defined by the Apartheid regime. Whether or not I actually fought and struggled as much as my parents did or as much as other people my age did against the injustices in South Africa, nevertheless that struggle absorbed my consciousness and moulded me and made great claims on my intellectual and emotional life over many decades. All my life I have been a political activist in one way or another since the age of 12. And from the moment I was born I have lived with the consequences of my parent's political activism. And where is my South African passport at the end of it all, by the way?

One example: I was driven to confront my Communist roots when I lived, studied and worked in the Soviet Union. I marched and demonstrated and argued and started societies and become a student leader and challenged lecturers and teachers, and worked as a union recruiter and wrote articles.

I followed my parents around the world when I was a child and a teenager because they were political exiles. Does that mean that my brothers and I were not political exiles? The fact that our education was fragmented into 13 schools and that we moved house 26 times and lived on three continents is not unrelated to our identity as the children of South African exiles. But do we qualify?

But at the age of 50, despite all I have said and done and the all the work I have done, I am still made to feel like a political dilettante by people younger than my self, people more adept at gestural politics, (the ones that play at Bolshevism, the ones that pose outside international conferences), and it infuriates me. Well I too have grafted in all kinds of ghettos. Millions of us have and do.

In addition to teaching my students useful skills, I teach my students, (and I have many students, and I have had many students), that capitalism and capitalists must be controlled by society. That democracy is vital and that democracy means that the state must be representative. And that for the representative state to be democratic it must be powerful.

The state must control, own and administer all the resources and natural monopolies of a country and regulate the hell out of the financial sector and the private sector in general to ensure that society and people come out on top.

I tell them that the national state, allied to other national states, must be powerful enough to terrorise the huge international corporations into toeing the line. I insist to them that public servants must have an incorruptible vocation of service, in the way that the best religious people have a vocation of service.

This also means we need to have huge, powerful and politically influential trade unions. That we must build on campaigning traditions of direct action. That consumer groups and community groups should also be powerful and fully represented. All of this in order to support the state and counter-balance the corporate lobbyists.

Adam Smith and the "social entrepreneurs" and Fukuyama and the whole host of those bought out brains, those intellectual prostitutes, can go screw themselves. Admit it.  A society where the profit motive dominates is a sick incontinent and cruel society, however many Nobel prizes you give to the economists people that say it isn't. That's the sort of thing I tell my students.

I believe in institutional good practice and I believe that good institutions are at the core of any civilised society and that if you have good institutions in your country then you are a lucky, lucky people and that you should treasure them and protect them. The BBC is one such institution, the British civil service is another.

I think that if your society hasn't developed a certain level of culture and governance then you are pissing in the wind when you demand too much of it. The first step in building a fair and just society is to build up viable institutions: a functioning legislature, an effective civil service, a fair and well resourced education system, a fair and resourced health system and an honest government.

I believe in the primacy of healthy communities as the basis of society and I don't believe in the nuclear family. The nuclear family simply doesn't work. Emphasis on the nuclear family atomises societies and makes people more and more self-centred. The nuclear family is easy to manipulate. Shamans and artists aside, we were always meant to live in large supportive extended networks.

So my question is this. What constitutes real and useful political activism in the second decade of the 21st century.

I am not talking about political posing, or gestural politics or reactionary identity and single issue politics or shallow "green" politics or fetishistic direct action seeking the adrenalin thrill of violence and the chase, or any of that other crap.

What else could I do to remove the label of dilettante?

Comments

DomzaNet said…
Hi Phil,

Not sure if this is the kind of answer you want but here goes, anyway.

Somewhere in Chapter 4 (the last one, the long one) of The Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Paulo Freire shouts: Not activism, but action!!!!!

I must say I really dug that and I still hold on to it tight.

In that light, your quest would seem slightly tautological. According to this Freirean point of view, and activist is already a dilettante, finish and klaar.

Hey, what do you, as a teacher, think of Paulo Freire? I have urgent need of advice about this, for life-and-death work-related reasons. Do "straight" teachers hate Freire? Do they hate amateur Freireans, like me? Should I keep quiet about Paulo Freire when I am around career teachers, or what? I'd be grateful for some advice.

Otherwise: Free your mind and your ass will follow! Funkedelic said that.

I had a refreshing re-acquaintance not with Funkadelic, but with The Fugs (by Google and Internet) this week. The Shamans and the artists aren't outside. They are the middle. Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Philip Hall said…
Thank you for sharing Friere's gnomic wisdom Dom.

Act not action. I suppose that means results not activity. I think it must have been at Matumi or at Dad's 70th that you mentioned Friere and as a result I have been reading a little on him. I do agree very much with some of what he says.

I don't think teachers are irritated by people recomending Friere at all, but he is a little scary because he advocates a joint educational enterprise and a relinquesing of control.

Teachers operate withine the confines of an education system. There are aways preset objectives that we have to work towards, the trick is, perhaps even if you are a philosophy lecturer, to slip the discussion into the spaces between or to find a way to open up spaces and link the discussion to the syllabus.

The metaphor for a class is like a path or a road and if you don't head from A to B then the CCTV cameras or academic policemen and women may pick up on your philosophical loitering.

Move along there please, move along.
DomzaNet said…
Much obliged. I will keep that in mind.
Paul said…
Nothing, there is nothing else you could do. I am not politically well-versed enough to know if you are right or not about the kind of society we should be creating but I think it was Marx, "from each according to their abilities, to each according to their needs." After that it gets complicated but funnily enough, that same line could easily come from the tao te ching. So I say, hurrah for you and thanks, I have learnt so much from your blog and this one.
Philip Hall said…
Thanks Paul, although it's more of a what can "we" do, though I use the I a lot.

It's great to meet like minded people through this medium, isn't it?

I know what you mean by nothing in the Wu Wei Taoist sense and to some extent I agree. There have been a lot of people in this world who "have spoken with flowery words and started nonsense". Think of Marcuse and Pol Pot.

Popular posts from this blog

A warm welcome

. Why blog on ARS NOTORIA? I have set up this website,  ARS NOTORIA ,  (the notable art) as an opportunity for like-minded people like you to jot down your thoughts and share them with us on what I hope will be a high profile blog. . ARS NOTORIA is conceived as an outlet: a way for you to get things off your chest, shake those bees out of your bonnet and scratch that itch. The idea is that you do so in a companionable blogging environment, one that that is less structured - freer. Every article you care to write or photograph or picture you care to post will appear on its own page and you are pretty much guaranteed that people will read with interest what you produce and take time to look at what you post. Personal blogs are OK, but what we long for, if we can admit it, are easy-going, loose knit communities: blogging hubs where we can share ideas and pop in and out as frequently, or as seldom, as we like. You will be able to moderate and delete any of the comments made on 

Phil Hall: The Taleban are a drug cartel disguised as an Islamist movement

Truly the Taleban could have arranged as many bombings and terrorists acts as they liked in the UK. There are many Pashtun young men and women in cities in the UK who still have large extended families back in Afghanistan and who could be forced into doing something they should not. But guess what. So far there have been no attacks by Afghans on British soil. Why? It is a mystery. News comes from Afghanistan and the recent UN report that the Taleban and the drug trade are intertwined and that now the Taleban, who are mainly Pashtun, are officially in command of an international drug cartel.  News comes from Afghanistan that Taleban drug lords go to Dubai to live high on the hog and gamble and sleep with women and luxuriate in all the that the freedom to consume has to offer, while their footsoldiers, peasant fighters, are deluded and told that they are fighting a patriotic religious war.  And though they are told they are fighting a religious war what really matters to them in tr

Our Collective Caliban

At the risk of seeming digitally provincial, I’m going to illustrate my point with an example from a recent Guardian blog. Michel Ruse, who is apparently a philosopher, suggested that, whilst disagreeing with creationists on all points, and agreeing with Dawkins et al on both their science and philosophy, it might be wiser and more humane (humanist, even) not to vilify the religious as cretinous and incapable of reason. Which seems reasonable, to me. According to many below-the-line responses he is a ‘half-baked’ atheist, ‘one of the more strident and shrill New Apologists’ and, apparently, “needs to get a pair’. And that’s just from the first twenty comments. A recent article by a screenwriter at a US site was titled ‘Why I Won’t Read Your Fucking Screenplay.’ Tough guy. I wonder how his Christmas cards read. I’m going to sound like a maiden aunt dismayed by an unsporting bridge play and can perhaps be accused of needing to ‘get a pair’ myself (although, before you